Let's go GREEN!
The Reef's Cayman Environment Initiatives
Over the years we have been quietly implementing new policies and procedures that help our environment but we have never shared them with you - until now. At The Reef we do not believe in fancy "green" certifications and accreditations. that is why we have kept things simple and created our very own green symbol, which you will see increasingly in areas where we practice 'green' activities.
The following are just some examples of what we do at The Reef, however we are always looking for new ways to become greener. If you have any ideas of comments about our green activities please let our staff know. We always love to hear your comments!
Reduce, recycle, reuse
Look For Our Green Symbol
Our top green priority is to reduce resource wastage. As a result we have taken on a number of activities and programs to help reduce energy and water wastage, including:
- Towel re-use programme
- Sensors which turn off the air-conditioning when patio doors are open
- pH balancing water to ensure equipment and systems work efficiently
- Salt water chlorination of our pools, avoiding use of harsh chemicals
- Installation of a biological sewage treatment plant instead of a traditional septic tank to treat waste
- Recycling toner cartridges
- Laundry detergent carefully selected to minimize environmental impact through out sewage treatment system
- Minimizing use of harmful chemicals in housekeeping and cleaning
- Provide bicycles free of charge to guests to discourage the use of cars
Biodegradable plastic cups
theReef is proud to partner with Greenware and Island Supply to use biodegradable plastic cups at the resort. We also thank these partners for their sponsorship of our cool new “tech” shirts provided to all entrants at our Reefathlon events.
The Reef is very active within the local community, supporting a number of activities including the annual Earth Day Clean Up as well as Turtle Nest Monitoring.
The Reef is also a proud partner of the Blue Iguana Conservation Program and do all we can to help save these amazing creatures from extinction. For more information about our native blue iguanas, please see our concierge.
The Reef is also please to participate in the Cayman Sea Sense Initiative. The primary goal of this initiative is to lessen the impact of Cayman Islands restaurants on the world's fragile ocean resources. When you see our Sea Sense symbol you can be sure the seafood is from a sustainable source.